Thank you to those of you who appropriately pointed out that if a meeting attendee accepts a meeting but doesn’t send a response, the organizer can’t tell if they are coming or not. This has been discussed in various Microsoft and Outlook blogs. After investigating, we found an alternate option for those of you who don’t want to see routine meeting acceptances.… Continue Reading
Are you interested in reducing the stress that constantly checking email and managing your inbox can cause? Try these simple tips:
- Set up rules in Outlook to automatically forward, move, delete or reply to certain emails based on their content
- Set aside time one or two times a day to check your inbox.
While our new integrated EHR will have mobile tools that allow us to embed pictures in it, our current one requires a workaround. If there is a picture or photo that needs to be embedded in a note, users can simply use standard windows commands to do so. Remember that the system is NOT equipped to handle a lot of high-resolution items, so this should be used sparingly.… Continue Reading
Have you ever seen someone quickly navigate programs using the keyboard? They do it with a list of simple shortcuts that Windows uses. These can be used in a web browser, in MS Office, or in the EHR. These can be used to do things like selecting all items, copying/pasting, undoing, and other quick commands.… Continue Reading
Do you use the Documents/Notes tab in CIS? Is there a specific document type that you frequently view? If so, we can save you some clicks. You can default open the folder that contains your document type. Simply follow these steps:
- Go to Documents/Notes
- Go to the Documents menu at the top, and select “Options”
- On the middle tab, called Index Defaults, look in the All Folder Types box and find your note type
- When you find it, simply double-click on it and then click OK.
Have you ever wanted to go directly to a radiology image without having to see the radiology report and go through multiple clicks? There is a way. Follow these simple steps:
- Go to any Patient Summary page
- Look for the orange Universal Viewer icon and click it
- That will take you directly to the complete list of that patient’s radiology studies
As we look toward our integrated EHR project, we continue to find ways to improve the EHR experience and outcomes. One common issue with EHRs is so-called “note bloat.” This is due to the automatic or inadvertent inclusion of extraneous information in clinician notes. A recent editorial discussed that the average note length in the US is up to 3.5 times as long as international notes (1).… Continue Reading
Did you know that CIS has functionality that allows you to see previous prescriptions that were filled, even outside of SCH? Simply go to the orders profile, and look for “External Rx History”. Click on view and that will on most patients show you a medication fill history. This can help you when trying to identify an unknown medication… Continue Reading
As respiratory virus season is upon us, a quick reminder about how to order lab testing.
There is a comprehensive order set called “Respiratory Virus Plan.” This plan contains multiple lab orders including Rapid Short and Long virus panels, as well as several atypical and follow-up panels.… Continue Reading
Sometimes a prescriber may want to change the administration times of a medication. This can be easily done in CIS by following these simple steps:
- Right click on a medication order and click “modify” (this is for existing orders). Otherwise skip to the next step
- Click on the ellipsis to the right of the frequency
- Enter the new times into the new schedule field and click ok.
“We cannot solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them.”
-Albert Einstein… Continue Reading
Legal documents that are stored in Epic can be viewed from a patient’s chart in CIS. Just follow these simple steps:
- On the CIS PatientSummary screen, click the Contacts tab
- In the Patient/Familysection, click the Legal Documents icon
- View the legal documents in the pop-up window
Possible reasons legal documents will not display in CIS:
- If Epic contacts are not found, or the Epic Interconnectservice is unavailable, the Legal Documents section will not display.
Introducing the CIS Personal Assistant Program. Click on the link below to find out more (make sure you are on a computer that has audio)
As part of our medication reconciliation quality project, we routinely review medications given to our patients. Here are some tips that prescribers can use to write clearer and safer prescriptions.
- Only use “see instructions” if entering a complex dosing regiment such as a taper or varying doses throughout the day.